back to The OZONE
Below is an outline of what was said on our first practice. I feel it is important to say everything that needs to be said. Do not expect kids will know what they need to know. Plus you can use this outline when parents come in AD office during season complaining their kids never knew.
Get (if still missing):
Athletic code booklets
Outline to say:
- Introductions of coaching staff
- Today begins an experience that will be very demanding. This sport is the most physical, most demanding and most challenging you’ll be involved with throughout your HS years. We guarantee that during the course of this season you’ll be in the best shape of your life. A good basketball player must be in tremendous shape to handle the challenges of a game and many times the best basketball players are the ones in the best shape. Don’t quit on us! Except the challenge and show us what you’re made of.
- If you are experiencing abnormal body pain, talk to your coach about it. If you have not been conditioning it was your choice not to, so the consequences may be hard. But talk to your coach about pains, they can offer suggestions. If you are experiencing girlly cramps, tell your coach.
- You must give you coach your 100% attention and commitment. You must learn to jog to and from drills, stop talking when your coach is addressing the team, perform exactly what you’re ask to do. Don’t cheat yourself by cutting corners, slowing down when the coach isn’t looking, finding the easy way out. Take the hard road; it WILL make you a better player. Run an extra lap, do an extra pushup, it will make you that much better.
- We have a scrimmage this Friday for all 3 high school teams against Shepherd, at Shepherd. I’ll let you know what ties the bus leaves at 2pm.
- Your receiving today your information packet. Practice/game schedule, Team Rules, Athlete Code book. READ this stuff. If additional ones are needed just ask your coach. Things may change???
- As far as athletic code book goes if you don’t do drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, keep your grades passing and don’t fight you should have nothing to worry about. READ, YOU AND PARENTS MUST SIGN PAGE AND TURN INTO YOUR COACH! If you do sneak this stuff once in a while I WILL catch up and you will be disciplined according to school rules and hinder your relationship with this coaching staff. So you better think about all that before you decide to suck on a cig, or sip a beer with your friends. I don’t do this stuff (never have) and you don’t have to either.
- Review team rules. READ, YOU AND YOUR PARENTS MUST SIGN PAGE AND TURN INTO YOUR COACH!
- Parents meeting will be on Month, day (Monday), don’t take this lightly, and get your parents here! Coaches like athletes whose parents are involved!
- Medical attention. No pain pills, discomfort pills from your coach
- Attire: wear a sports bra, double up on socks for the first week or so, you can wear sleeveless t-shirts but not any kind of shirt that cuts low in front. T-shirts are perfect.
- Main goal is every athlete taking personal ownership of their team and giving 100% every time they practice and play! - We must turn this program around and that happens by every athlete, every team, every coach giving 100%.
- Never feel bad about discussing issues with your coach. You have a question you desire an answer. You might not like the answer, but ask it anyway.
- Athletes getting along is important to a team’s success. We have a motto this year “It’s all about team”. Be a team player and team communicator and a team leader. Plan outside of gym activities as a group.
Hope this helps ya,
back to The OZONE